Thursday, April 16, 2009

Call me Ray.

After my wonderful rest in Rockwell, Illinois where I stayed an extra day and allowed myself to sleep in, eat well (food other than peanut butter and honey sandwiches) and watch a whole lot of TV, I hit the road once again. I had no idea where I was going except that I would be getting there via highway 20 westward. That has been my mentality for the past two days and it has turned out pretty well. It feels great to not have a plan and just see where this wonderful, tiny bi-way of vast farmland takes me. Traveling westward is absolutely beautiful during the evening when the sun is setting as it allows for everything, including trees, abandoned barns, houses, and even animals just pop with the orange sky behind. Since the last post, I have traveled through western Illinois, Iowa and am now in O’Neil, "the Irish Capitol of Nebraska." Not sure what that means, but wish me luck in catching a Leprechaun or two.

Highlights:

President Ulysses S. Grant Home, Galena, Illinois. Grant first rented a house nearby the church to the left of the trunk in the second picture. During this time and also when he moved into his permanent home gifted to him by the city (third picture), he attended the church to the right of the trunk.
When the civil war broke out, he lived in the rented house, but in the permanent home when he was elected president. The fourth picture is of the dining room in his permanent home with a picture of his wife, Julia, on the wall.
The neat thing about the house is that all original furniture is still in tact. This doesn't generally hold true for historic houses on display today.



The Field of Dreams Movie Site, Dyersville, Iowa. Everyone has seen, or at least heard of, the movie "The Field of Dreams." Well, here is the field from the movie! Sitting on the same benches along the field used in the movie was insanely surreal.
The lot was very quiet and peaceful, but visitors are allowed to play baseball on the field if they bring equipment. I used a fake bat and from the looks of the picture, obviously need some help with my stance.
The second photo was not taken by me, but is an aerial shot from when the movie was produced.


Big Woods Lake, Waterloo, Iowa. I would have never expected to find such beautiful lakes and rivers in Iowa, but here is proof they exist!

Cedar River, Waterloo, Iowa.

Photographs along Highway 2 through Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. I would need to be recording video to capture every piece of beauty along this road, but here is an attempt to capture at least a few shots. Also, found more wind turbines in Nebraska. I love them!






1 comment:

  1. These are some gorgeous photos! It's so crazy to me how diverse this country is.

    ReplyDelete