Saturday, April 11, 2009

Everything's bigger in Texas!

Yes, the statement is certainly true. Texas itself is gigantic, Taxans all drive enormous vehicles, the cities are large, but most importantly, the hearts of its residents are big. Every single person I have encountered has been so extremely nice to me. From Roswell I traveled to Lubbock and then to Dallas Texas, both of which proved to be rich in history and art and plain and simple, fun!

Because Texas is so big and has so many things to offer, I stayed for three days and nights. Also, two of these were spent in Dallas because of my ever so friendly hostel host, Marty, and his wonderful female hostel apartment (the Dallas/Bachman hostel) that I was able to have all to myself.

Highlights:

No hostels in Lubbock, Texas, so I stayed in a motel. The place was a dump, but at least they served Texas shaped waffles for breakfast!

The Buddy Holly Center, Lubbock, TX. Good ol' Buddy Holly is from Lubbock Texas. The inside gallery (where photos are not allowed), which includes photos, letters, tickets, guitars, etc. is presented in the shape of a guitar. Very neat to see! Also, I learned that Don McLean's song "American Pie," is about Buddy Holly and his death. I had no idea!


Mexican restaurant in Lubbock. Honestly, I haven’t an idea the name of this place because the letters to its sign are wearing off, but it was delicious and very authentic. The Mexican food all throughout Texas is superb!

Silent Wings Museum, Lubbock, TX. Located near the Lubbock Municipal Airport as it was chosen as the location for the training of WWII glider pilots. The place had an eerie feel for a number of reasons, but a couple being that the depictions of glider pilots are extremely realistic and also, because of the number of people that died flying these planes. The Blue plane at the bottom is just a practice glider.


Dallas, Texas. The DART (Dallas's MAX). I was very proud of myself for figuring the system out and making my way all throughout downtown.

I loved, loved, loved Dallas and its beautiful buildings. The city reminds me so much of Portland, which was a huge surprise. It is a large city, but people are still relaxed and friendly. I don't like; however, how segregated it is.

The Sixth Floor Museum, Dallas, TX. Located in the old Texas School Book Depository where Lee Harvey Oswald (well, I believe), killed John F. Kennedy. I took the first picture inside the museum before I found out that photography is prohibited, but the others are from outside the building where the shooting actually took place.

Underneath the signs in the first picture, on Elm Street, is where Kennedy's limousine was located when bullets first struck him. The bullets came from the window that is at the bottom of the last picture.




Dealy Plaza, located at the intersection of the shooting. Created as part of the Works Project Administration (WPA) in 1938-1940.

The Reunion Tower, Dallas, TX. An observation tower, but I did not get a chance to ride up :(

Downtown art district, Dallas Museum of Art.



Nasher Museum of Sculpture


Cancer Survivors Parks, Dallas, TX. The first picture is of a 5,000 pound granite ball symbolic of cancer, since it is a huge mass always moving. What is neat is that if you touch is, it stops and begins rotating in a different direction.

Thanksgiving Square, Dallas, TX. Dedicated to promoting the spirit of Thanksgiving.

More of those horizontal street lights that were common throughout New Mexico.

A country and western bar/club that Marty (my hostel host) invited me to. Here I learned the two-step and west coast swing and saw a live country-western band. Definitely an experience unlike any before, but totally awesome!


1 comment:

  1. What an amazing trip you're having! Are you going to Austin? I always hear people saying that it's like a really hot version of Portland :)

    ReplyDelete