Thursday, April 9, 2009

Still a believer in extraterrestrial beings.

I feel like I am traveling through a time warp, probably because I sort of am. As I travel east, the time keeps changing and since I don’t always have an Internet connection or the ability to communicate with residents, I never seem to know when/where it happens. I am currently in Texas and I am almost positive that I am two hours ahead of western time.
After being in Roswell, NM, I can proudly say that I am no longer uncomfortable being in the smaller southern towns. At least in Roswell, the residents that I encountered are all so incredibly friendly and close niche with one another. In both gas stations I visited and the café I ate lunch in, the employees addressed customers by their names and treated me with just as much respect. I also met a friendly visitor named Sylvan at the Roswell Museum and Art Center who was from Canada. Anyone that knows me should know that I love Canadians. We chatted a bit, which was nice since I felt as if it had been an eternity since I have had a real conversation with anyone besides the extraterrestrial life of Roswell.

Highlights:


Not of This World Café, Roswell, NM. I stopped in here for a bite to eat before my museum visits. The food was DELICIOUS and the service, friendly. I would not have enjoyed my stay in Roswell nearly as much if it was not for the owners advice of where to visit in the town.

UFO Museum and Research Center, Roswell, NM. The museum housed numerous news articles, personal accounts, pictures and federal documents relating to the Roswell incident and UFOs and aliens in general. I want to believe in aliens, I really do, but unfortunately, I do not at all believe in the Roswell incident. The second picture is the remains of what was assumed to be a UFO that supposedly crashed in Roswell. Honestly, all it looks like is a tinfoil kite...

The third picture is interesting, so you really should enlarge it! Depicted are the anthropomorphic depictions of the Jornada and Anasazi Native Americans. The bottom three, which belong to the Anasazis are very similar to our illustrations of aliens today. Could Native Americans have encountered aliens or perhaps, it was Native American art that influenced our ideas of alien appearance. I also appreciate these figures because last term, in school, I studied anthropomorphic expression of the Columbia River Native Americans and these share a striking resemblance!


Silly pictures at the UFO Museum and Research Center.

Roswell Museum and Art Center, NM. Thanks to the friendly owner of the Cafe I visited in Roswell, I took a trip here. To my surprise, Roswell is more than home of a possible UFO crash site, but also has a rich Native American and space trabel history. It's a shame that these aspects of the town are overshadowed by the Roswell incident.

In flight space suit worn by Harrison Schmitt (a resident of Roswell) of Apollo 17 and a moon rock at the Roswell Museum and Art Center.

Robert H. Goddard’s reconstructed workshop at the Roswell Museum and Art Center. Goddard is the first to create and launch liquid fueled rockets. He was not born in Roswell, but relocated to the city to obtain peace in his research.

Oil pumpjack in SE New Mexico. They were located for miles and miles along the highways from New Mexico and into Texas. I’d be a hypocrite to complain with the amount of gas I am burning on this trip. To my surprise, though, Texas is actually pretty environmentally friendly with reminders to “drive clean” and trashcans located all along the freeways. Something seems to be working because their freeways are ten times less littered than those of New Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. Did she ever watch Degrassi? Your Canadian friend? I am SURE you asked her. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Roswell has such a rich culture. Neato! :)

    ReplyDelete