Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ricky Martin sighting.

As I mentioned earlier, this trip has been full of surprises, the most recent being my mom and grandmother putting me into contact with Claire, my second cousin (my mom’s cousin), who lives in Norwalk California. Now let me tell you a little bit about Claire. She is no doubt about it one of the nicest people that I have ever met, which up until my visit, I had never met. Immediately upon arriving, though, she made me feel at home and it seemed as if we had known one another for years.
One of the special things about Claire is that she has respect for all forms of life: human, animals, especially cats, and plants. Her and I, I feel have a lot in common, not only because she reminds me a lot of myself, but because we are both currently in a sort of crossroads in life. She is recently retired and me, about to graduate, so we were able to find a lot of common ground. I can looks to her as a role model because she has encountered a great deal of obstacles throughout her life but still retains a positive attitude and is ready to succeed. Also, interesting, her dad, at one time, played baseball with Jackie Robinson. Now, I’m not much of a baseball fan, but that is gnarly, right?
My stay with my Claire seemed much to short, but definitely long enough to build a relationship that will live beyond my trip. It was also long enough for her to show me around Norwalk, a bit of L.A. and Hollywood. She was a wonderful hostess! I am not in Arizona doing all kinds of awesome things with my friend Merlyn and her husband Jason. I am vowing to never write a post as long as the last, so my adventures here will just have to wait.


Highlights:


Hollywood and Vine Metro stop, CA. The Metro is exactly like the Max, only much more complex. It has, I believe, three lines that spread throughout Norwalk, L.A. and the Hollywood area. The Hollywood and Vine stop, though, was the neatest to see because it is underground and decorated in tile artwork and film reels.



A neat vintage shop that Claire and I found in Hollywood. Here you can find the neatest vintage boots, sweaters and best of all, a huge variety of 80's dresses. I needed this store last Halloween!





Hollywood Walk of Fame along Hollywood Blvd, CA. I saw stars for Desi Arnez, Jimi Hendrix, The Monkees, Walt Disney, Britney Spears, Olivia Newton-John, The Doors, and so many more, but honestly, I was most excited to find Ricky Martin.




Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Hollywood, CA. "...I used to go to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre and try to fit my foot in a celebrity impression, it really meant to me that anything is possible...almost." -Marilyn Monroe.

Claire and I did the same, but with our hands. Her in the imprints of Gloria Swanson and me in the imprints of Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from Harry Potter).




LA, CA. Need to go to the restroom while in downtown LA? You had better have .25!




Norwalk, CA. It is absolutely fascinating to me to see lemon trees. This one was growing in the yard of Claires neighbors. Since also grows into Claires yard, she let me pick a few for the road.




Claire and I in front of her lovely house. Her lovely house, where she grows many beautiful plants and flowers.




On Highway 10 near Palm Springs, which I took in getting to Chandler, AZ. Hills and hills of wind turbines exist along about 20 miles of freeway. Both beautiful and useful!





No comments:

Post a Comment